Taking Pets to Vietnam
Vietnam is one of the most mysterious and fascinating destinations in all of South-East Asia. Sea kayaking, Crab fishing with traditional fisherman, plunging limestone cliffs and delicious Vietnamese food are some of the wonderful aspects of the intriguing local culture. While Vietnam is not a traditionally pet-friendly travel country, many pet owners now travel and relocate here with their pets as they consider them part of the family and want to include them on their travels.
Relocating or moving to Vietnam with pets will present complications that need to be considered and planned for well in advance. Travelling with a dog or cat within Vietnam can become overwhelming. There is a need for constant supervision of your pet, especially dogs, as stealing them for dogfighting rings or the dog meat trade is very common. Many taxi drivers will refuse point blank to travel with your pet and a personal vehicle is very appreciated at such times.
- Vietnam does not require that your pet be microchipped, but it is recommended that you do so and register your contact information, should your pet be lost or separated.
- Your pet must be vaccinated for rabies between 30 days and 12 months prior to travel.
- A rabies titer test is not required to enter Vietnam from any country.
- An accredited veterinarian must complete a health certificate which is valid for 7 days after endorsement.
- An import permit is only required if you are travelling with 2 or more pets.
- Notice should be given to the Quarantine Station no less than 24 hours of your arrival. It is advisable to carry some form of identification indicating ownership of your pet.
- Ticks and tapeworm treatment should be administered by a licensed veterinarian between 5 and 7 days prior to entering Vietnam.
As you start planning your trip overseas, you may consider hiring professional assistance to help with your pet’s relocation. If you are planning on relocating to Vietnam with your pet, get a free quote here on our website by entering your travel and pet details. You can get in touch with us for a professional consultation by calling +91-9257123123 or write to us at [email protected]