Taking Pets to Qatar
Qatar is a rapidly modernizing country in the Middle East. Famous for its skyscraper cities, vibrant souks, golden sand dunes and beaches, Qatar is also rapidly gaining popularity as a pet destination. With top-of-the-line pet services and facilities opening up to cater to your furry friends, Qatar is no longer a spot for only human luxury and fun, but also for their pets.
Expats who are pet owners must first ask themselves whether their pet will be able to handle the hot and humid climate in Qatar. Keeping dogs as pets does not really feature as a part of the country’s heritage, so dog owners must note that they cannot walk their dogs everywhere. Some beaches permit dogs but insist on them being leashed at all times.
- Your pet must be microchipped with an ISO-compliant microchip prior to travel.
- The rabies vaccine must be up to date, at least 30 days before entering the country.
- A rabies titer test is mandatory and should be done 30 days after the rabies vaccination.
- An import permit consisting of a health certificate by your licensed vet, your pet’s current vaccination records and the titer test results should be obtained before travelling to Qatar.
- To qualify for an import permit, your pet must older than four months.
- Certain breeds like American Staffordshire Terrier, Boerboel, Boston Terrier, Boxer, Bull Terrier, Bulldog, Chinese Shar-Pei, Doberman, Great Dane, Japanese Akita, Neopolitan Mastiff, Afghan Hound, Rottweiler and Staffordshire Bull Terrier require special permission to be imported into Qatar.
- Pets are allowed entry to Qatar via Hamad International Airport in Doha. Pets can enter as checked baggage or air cargo with one dog or cat allowed per person per year.
As you start to prepare for your move to Qatar, you may consider hiring professional assistance to help with your pet’s relocation. If you are planning on travelling to Qatar with your pet dog or cat, get a free quote here on our website by entering your travel and pet details. You can get in touch with us for a professional consultation by calling +91-9257123123 or write to us at [email protected]