Taking Pets to Nigeria
Once known for only oil and chaos, Nigeria has rapidly evolved into a popular destination for tourists and expats to visit or relocate to. For most pet owners, the decision to take their furry companion along on an international move is a no-brainer. Thankfully Nigeria is a pet-friendly country, where pet owners can rest assured that their furry family member can live and travel with them hassle free.
Nigeria has over 335 pet and dog friendly cities including hotels, restaurants and campgrounds where pet owners can spend time outdoors with their pets. It is also one of the countries that do not have a list of banned breeds or a mandatory quarantine period for imported animals.
- Your pet must be microchipped with an ISO compliant microchip before travel.
- Vaccinations must be up to date with the rabies vaccination being administered between 30 days and 12 months prior to entering the country.
- Before travelling, a rabies titer test must be conducted no sooner than 30 days after the primary rabies vaccination.
- An import permit is required for entry along with a health certificate by a licensed vet.
- Pets can enter Nigeria via Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos or the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja only as checked baggage or air cargo.
Working with a professional shipper such as AirPets right from the start assures your pet’s documentation will be in order and ensures your pet has a personal travel agent to oversee their progress. If you are planning a move to Nigeria soon with your pet, get a free quote here on our website by entering your travel and pet details. You can get in touch with us for a professional consultation by calling +91-9257-123-123 or write to us at [email protected]