Relocating Pets to Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka is an island country lying in the Indian Ocean and is nicknamed “The Teardrop of India” because of its unique teardrop shape and is lies in just south of the Indian peninsula. Sri Lanka also has another name “Pearl of the Indian Ocean" based on its geography. Despite its small size and separation from mainland Asia, Sri Lanka is host to an incredible diversity of flora and fauna. It has one of the world’s highest rates of endemism where 23% of the flowering plants and 16% of the animals are endemic. It is also one of the world’s 25 biodiversity hotspots.
Apart from having a diverse range of flora and fauna, Sri Lanka is also pet friendly. This means that if you are planning on taking a trip or to settle in this beautiful island country, you do not have to worry about your pets! It has a variety of pet friendly hotels and other open areas like parks and restaurants that allows you to spend some quality time with your pet.
- The first step for you pets’ trip to Sri Lanka is to Microchip your pet. Your dog or cat must be identified with an ISO-complaint microchip prior to travel.
- While a Rabies Titer test is not mandatory In Sri Lanka, it is important to have you pet vaccinated against Rabies and DHPPIL not less than 30 days and not more than 6 months prior to entering the country and cats must be vaccinated against feline panleucopaenia.
- A licensed veterinarian must complete the Veterinary Certificate for Sri Lanka within 10 days of entry.
- Import permit must be applied at least 2 weeks prior to entry. The Import Permit application requires export health certificate, blood tests done within 30 days for Dirofilaria immitis, Leishmaniasis, Babesia Canis, Babesia Gibsoni (dogs) and Dirofilaria Immitis (cats) and parasite treatments.
- All pets must also be treated for internal and external parasites within 7 days of entry.
- Pets can only enter into Sri Lanka via Bandaranaike International Airport in Katunayake and a notice should be given to veterinary officials at least 4 days in advance so they will be available to inspect your pet upon landing. Pets are only allowed to enter Sri Lanka via Air Cargo.
- All pets will be subject to 30 days of quarantine at pre-approved location upon arrival.
- Puppies and kittens under the age of 3 months may enter Sri Lanka with proof that the mother was vaccinated not less than 30 days and not more than 6 months prior to the birth of the puppy or kitten.
As you start planning your trip overseas, you should consider hiring professional assistance to make your pet’s relocation safe, smooth and hassle-free. AirPets relocates hundreds of pets every year to and from India and is very thorough with its process. You can get in touch with us at +91-9257-123-123 or write to [email protected] for a professional consultation.