Relocating Pets to Spain
Spain, formally the Kingdom of Spain, epitomizes geographical diversity. As the meeting point of the Atlantic Ocean and Mediterranean Sea, this vast country offers some of Europe’s most dramatic landscapes, as well as some of its tastiest cuisine. Spain is a beautiful country and its rich heritage attracts people from all over the world. It is known for its history, its fauna, and lovely people.
Apart from being a tourist hot spot, Spain is also a pet-friendly country. It has plenty of options for all its four-legged tourists as well as their parents, ranging from pet friendly restaurants, to hotels, to many other activities which you can enjoy with your pet while in Spain. While travelling with a pet, one must keep the following things in mind-
- The first step is to microchip your pet with a 15-digit ISO compliant pet microchip.
- All pets must have proof of a current rabies vaccination administered after the microchip was implanted to enter Spain.
- A rabies titer test is mandatory for Spain. It can be done after waiting for a minimum of 30 days after administering a rabies vaccination or a booster shot.
- For non-commercial regulations, the owner or a legal representative of the owner should travel with or within 5 days of the pet and the transport should not involve purchase, sale or transfer of ownership. A licensed veterinarian must complete the non-commercial EU health certificate for Spain within 5 days of entry.
- Pets can enter Spain via Border Inspection Posts at international airports in Barcelona, Madrid, Malaga, Tenerife Sur or Valencia. All pets must be free of evidence of disease communicable to humans when examined at the port of entry to Spain.
- Spain does not have a list of banned breeds but the following breeds must register 3 months prior to enter Spain and must be muzzled at security check- Pit Bull Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Rottweiler, Dogo Argentino, Fila Brasiliero, Tosa Inu and Akita Inu.
As you start planning your trip overseas, you should consider hiring professional assistance to make your pet’s relocation safe, smooth and hassle-free. AirPets relocates hundreds of pets every year to and from India and is very thorough with its process. You can get in touch with us at +91-9257-123-123 or write to [email protected] for a professional consultation.