Relocating Pets to Portugal
Portugal, officially the Portuguese Republic is a country whose mainland is located on the Iberian Peninsula, in Southwestern Europe. Portugal is brimming with beauty,in both urban and rural areas. It is one of Europe's most beautiful countries, Portugal has it all: historic cities, world-renowned cuisine, natural landscapes, and spectacular beaches. Hence, making it a perfect tourist destination.
While talking about Portugal’s pet-friendly status, it is safe to say that Portugal is a pet friendly country. Pets are allowed in many restaurants, cafes, beaches etc. While relocating with pets, it is important to keep the following things in mind-
- The first step is to microchip your pet with a 15 digit ISO compliant pet microchip.
- All pets must have proof of the current rabies vaccination.
- A rabies titer test must be administered after waiting for a minimum of 30 days after administering the rabies vaccination. All samples must be processed at an approved laboratory.
- For non-commercial regulations the owner or a legal representative of the owner is traveling with or within 5 days of the pet and the transport does not involve purchase, sale or transfer of ownership.
- A licensed veterinarian in the originating country must complete the non-commercial EU certificate for Portugal within 05 days of travel.
- All pets entering Portugal by air must do so at Border Inspection Posts at international airports in Lisbon, Porto or Faro. Notice must be provided to notify border inspectors a minimum of 48 hours prior to arrival.
- Pets should enter Portugal directly or transit through another EU Member State. If your pet transits through a high-rabies country, then a Transit Declaration will be required stating that your pet has had no contact with rabies-carrying animals and remained secured within the airplane or airport.
- All domestic dogs and cats must be free of evidence of disease communicable to humans when examined at the port of entry to Portugal.
- Portugal does not have a list of banned breeds per say but pet owners must sign a Statement of Responsibility for dogs staying in Portugal for less than 4 months and a Notification document for dogs intending to reside in Portugal: Brazilian Fila, Rottweiler, American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Dogo Argentino, Tosa Inu and Pit Bull Terrier. Exceptions will be granted for those with pedigree documentation. Owners must enter Portugal with their dogs.
- The above breeds must be neutered or spayed if staying in Portugal for longer than 4 months.
As you start planning your trip overseas, you should consider hiring professional assistance to make your pet’s relocation safe, smooth and hassle-free. AirPets relocates hundreds of pets every year to and from India and is very thorough with its process. You can get in touch with us at +91-9257-123-123 or write to [email protected] for a professional consultation.