Relocating Pets to Mauritius
Mauritius, officially the Republic of Mauritius is an Indian Ocean island nation, also known for its beaches, lagoons and reefs. Being an island nation comes with its host of benefits like the lush green natural surroundings, ocean water with a myriad shades of blue melting into the azure sky at the horizon, and the powdery white stretches of sandy beaches, hence it is safe to say that Mauritius is beautiful all year round.
Apart from its beauty, Mauritius is also a pet-friendly country. It has a lot of pet-friendly places like beaches, restaurants, hotels, hiking activities and so on. While travelling with pets, it is important to keep the following things in mind-
- The first step is to microchip your pet with a 15-digit ISO compliant pet microchip.
- All pets must be vaccinated for rabies between 60 days and 1 year of entry for the initial vaccination and between 30 days and 1 year of entry for all booster vaccinations. For dogs- Distemper, Leptospirosis and Canine Parvovirus and for Cats- Feline Enteritis, Feline Rhinotracheitis and Feline Calicivirus.
- All pets entering Mauritius must have a rabies titer test administered by a licensed veterinarian no sooner than 30 days and no more than 6 months prior to entry. A letter from your veterinarian will be required stating that the titer test was done according to regulations.
- Import Permit must be applied for 3-6 months of advance of entering Mauritius. You must also state your purpose for visiting the country.
- A Veterinary Health Certificate must be endorsed by the Government Authority responsible for the import and export of live animals of the country.
- All pets must be treated for external parasites and checked for both internal and external parasites shortly prior to entering the country.
- Your pet shall land only with the approval of the Veterinary Officer of Mauritius. The Veterinary Officer must be notified of the time of arrival and port of entry at least 3 days prior to arrival. Once cleared, your dog will be subject to quarantine anywhere between 5 to 30 days.
- Pets must enter Mauritius via Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam International Airport in Plaine Magnien. Pets can arrive in the cabin, as checked baggage or as air cargo.
- Pets arriving in Mauritius should do so on a direct flight. Pre-notification of arrival is required. Clearance by a broker is required for all dogs and cats entering Mauritius as air cargo.
- All pets must be free of evidence of disease communicable to humans when examined at the port of entry.
- Dogs and cats must be neutered or spayed prior to entry and must not be pregnant.
- The following dog breeds are only permitted as purebreds with proof of registration: Alaskan Malamute, Bull Mastiff, Cane Corso, Dobermann, Kangal, Mastino Napoletano, Presco Canario, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Rottweiler. Mixes of these breeds will not be permitted entry to Mauritius. All dogs must be registered within 15 days of import.
- The following breeds and their mixes cannot be imported to Mauritius: American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Blue Nose Pit Bull, Boerboel, Dogo Argentino, Fila Brasileiro, Japanese Tosa, Red Nose Pit Bull and Staffordshire Terrier.
As you start planning your trip overseas, you should consider hiring professional assistance to make your pet’s relocation safe, smooth and hassle-free. AirPets relocates hundreds of pets every year to and from India and is very thorough with its process. You can get in touch with us at +91-9257-123-123 or write to [email protected] for a professional consultation.