Taking Pets to Australia
Relocating to Australia to experience the wonderful culture and famed friendliness of its diverse population is now very popular. If you’re planning to move to Australia, you probably have all the information you need with respect to housing, culture, food, etc. But what about your pets? If you adore your pet and don’t want to leave them behind, you are not alone. Plenty of people move to Australia along with their pets and you can too.
With almost 101 pets per 100 people and nearly 62% of all Aussie households having pets, Australia is a very pet-friendly country. Pets are allowed and welcomed in most public places such as parks and beaches. Pet import to Australia requires a significant amount of preparation and planning. Cats and dogs can be imported to Australia under the following conditions:
- India is currently not on Australia’s approved list for direct pet import, and so pets must be imported to Australia via an approved country.
- The first step to prepare your pet to enter Australia is microchipping with an ISO 11784/11785 compliant microchip.
- Your pet must have all vaccinations done. After waiting a minimum of 30 days after the Rabies vaccination, a rabies titer test must be administered.
- The titer test blood sample must be processed in an OIE-approved laboratory in China, France, South Korea, Mexico, United Kingdom or South Africa. Before applying for the import permit, your pet must have another rabies titer test once it is moved to an approved country. The sample from the second test can be processed in an approved lab in that country.
- An import permit is required and must be filed at least 42 days ahead of import.
- Pets coming to Australia must spend a minimum of 10 days at an official post-entry quarantine facility in Melbourne.
- When entering Australia from another country through New Zealand, pets must be quarantined in New Zealand, then remain on the island for 90 days after quarantine prior to entering Australia.
Keeping in mind the strict regulations of importing pets to Australia, it is recommended to take the assistance of an accredited pet travel agency to help with the relocation. If you are planning on travelling to Australia with your pet dog or cat, get a free quote here on our website by entering your travel and pet details. You can get in touch with us for a professional consultation by calling +91-9257123123 or write to us at [email protected]