Relocating Pets to Belize
Belize is a nation on the eastern coast of Central America, with Caribbean Sea shorelines to the east and dense jungle to the west. Belize is famous for ancient Maya cities, snorkelling and scuba diving on the gorgeous Belize Barrier Reef, relaxing to the gentle rhythms of Caribbean life, hiking through unspoiled rainforests, canoeing down jungle rivers and much more.
Belize is also a pet friendly place to travel to. While relocating with pets, it is important to keep the following things in mind-
- The first step is to microchip your pet with a 15 digit ISO compliant pet microchip.
- While a rabies titer test is not mandatory, all pets must have proof of the current rabies vaccination administered between 30 days and 12 months prior to entering the country.
- Other vaccinations include, for dogs: Rabies, Distemper, Hepatitis, Leptospirosis, and Parovirus.
- For cats: Feline Vioral Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus and Panleukopenia.
- An import permit must be filed for in advance and must be approved by the Agricultural Department of Belize before importing your pet to Belize.
- A tick and tapeworm treatment is required within 30 days of the entry of your pet.
- All pets must enter Belize via Philip S.W. Goldson International Airport in Ladyville.
- Pets can arrive as check in baggage, in cabin or as air cargo.
- The Director of Animal Health must be notified two days ahead of arriving in Belize.
- All pets must be free of evidence of disease communicable to humans when examined at the port of entry.
- Belize does not publish a list of banned breeds.
As you start planning your trip overseas, you should consider hiring professional assistance to make your pet’s relocation safe, smooth and hassle-free. AirPets relocates hundreds of pets every year to and from India and is very thorough with its process. You can get in touch with us at +91-9257-123-123 or write to [email protected] for a professional consultation.